 Parts / Modification / 93
Re: I need some 'modding' expertise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:46:38 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftware.DOT.com> wrote in
message news:I4Er9o.u7H@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.parts.mod, John Gerlach wrote:

(snip cool link to spiffy building and tale of woe)

Two suggestions:

1. Fly Rob Hendrix in. He can fix it. He can mod anything. It may end up
with an
LED in it somewhere, though, so be warned.

2. Get someone that has access to a "jaws of life" and pry the building
gently
apart at the window opening just enough to work the appropriate bricks
free, but
not so much that it disintegrates. My suggestion is to sacrifice two 2x4s
and
have the jaws tips press on those, one on the top and one on the bottom of
the
window opening. Do you know someone in a fire department? Some of the jaws
have
very small tips to start ripping car metal apart.

2 is a serious suggestion, believe it or not...

Hope that helps, and good luck, it looks awesome so far. I like the
various
"hide it with (mumble)" suggestions too. The window washer one seems
particularly good.

Suggestion 2 is a good one Lar.  I would have suggested that myself.  The
only caveat would be to be very careful on placement and prying.  Some
buffer material would be a likely choice to use to prevent scarring by the
"jaws of life".

As already suggested, the other most obvious course of action would be to
add a 1x4 to the bottom and Dremel out the two bricks above the window.
Your mods won't stop there an you'll have to modify two smaller bricks to
put back in the void.  Shaving the studs and gently prying them onto the the
studs of the brick below will be a chore, but I believe it can be done.
Just remember NOT to shave those studs off when grinding the above bricks
out.  If prying the new bricks into place is a task that you deem too
difficult, there's always the choice of shaving more studs and using *gasp*
glue...

As already suggested, it would be a good idea to use something like tape to
protect the immediate areas around the work area when using a dremel or
other tools to get the job done.  And, always wear protective eyewear when
Dremelling! (Ya, I know - I don't)...

Good Luck!
Rob