 Parts / Modification / 85
Re: I need some 'modding' expertise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:45:14 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, John Gerlach wrote:
   As many people know, the GMLTC is working on our largest project ever - a Lego version of the Plummer Building in Rochester, Minnesota.

When we’re done it should be about 7 feet tall, and use an estimated 50,000 bricks.

Here’s where I need some modding advice and expertise. I screwed up one window in the building. You can see it in this image.

2nd floor window on the right edge, it’s one brick too low. I’m kicking myself over this mistake, and want to fix it!

Make it a feature! You could have one of those handout sheets for kids to find 5 or 10 odd/strange things on the layout - this could be one of them.

   Problem is there is no possible way to pry those grey bricks out of there, the building is simply built too strong to ever pry it apart. So, I’m going to have to Dremel them out, and replace them with some ‘modified’ bricks.

Any suggestions from people more skilled with the Dremel than I? The walls are mostly 2x4 bricks, the windows are 1x4 and 1x6 bricks set in one stud. Obviously fixing the bottom of the window is easy - just put a grey 1x4 brick in there! The top is the part I’m trying to figure out...

Help?!?

If you do go ahead with the Dremel thing, you might mask off the immediate area with one or two layers of electrical tape to help prevent any scratches from occurring if the Dremel tool or hobby knive slips. I do this quite often to keep everything looking new when doing mods.

I find the high speed cutter bits work best for removing lots of ABS quickly and cleanly. Perhaps #194 or #196:

http://www.dremel.com/html/products/accessories/carving.html

Good luck,

Mark