 Parts / Custom / 124
Re: tougher lego gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:51:52 GMT

I don't think the plastic-glue bond would have to be stronger than plastic with
itself.  I'm just talking about filling up the hole so that the gear won't crack
as easily at the thin points next to the holes.  This is where the breaks are
always occuring.

It won't offer any support since the filling is not bonded to (or "integrated
into") the gear body - they would just fly out when the gear cracks.

The only problem here is space.  The entire rig which the gear is part of is
made of aluminium and is positioned in the centre of a wooden robot.  I'm not

Which brings a question: Why use Lego in a rig with wood or aluminum? Is it a
Lego MOC with different materials for structure? If it is primarily wood and
aluminum, isn't hobby-grade metal gears a better idea?

too keen to redo that part.  I might be able to cut off the side bits of two
gears (probably on one side of each) then glue them together.  This way they
would only take up 1.5 lego spaces, which is all the room I have.

Or if vertical space permits, consider using a white clutch gear.

Keith