 Parts / Custom / 122
Re: tougher lego gears
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:32:11 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Jack Valmadre wrote:

The [16t] gears always crack at the thinner parts of
the gear where the four holes are. I might try using
some epoxy to paint the gear or try and fill up the holes.

   If the material is failing, I doubt filling the holes will help (perhaps,
*maybe*, with a very strong glue, but I still doubt it). The problem is getting
anything to bond the plastic nearly as strongly as the plastic bonds to itself.
   I don't know what the set-up is, but others have suggesting ganging gears
(using more than one). You can "pin" 16t gear together the same way you can 24t
or 40t. For those you use friction pegs - for 16t gears, use pieces of flex
system tubing. The "wands" or "lightsaber blades" will also fit, but only if you
force them (& adding stress is unlikely to be the direction to go here).

--
Brian Davis