Re: Brickfest Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:31:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

Mobtown?

It's a name for Baltimore that came from the 19th century. Baltimore was a
pretty violent place then (oh wait, it still is), mostly from political
conflicts. Every election was like a huge battle in the streets between rival
factions, which had names like "Plug Uglies" and such. The American
(Know-Nothing) Party was a pretty big deal in Baltimore, and one the
Know-Nothing mayors turned cannons on the mobs once. Edgar Allen Poe died in
Baltimore after being filled full of booze and dragged to the polls during one
election. Also, some of the first violence in the Civil War happened when
Lincoln's Train came through Baltimore and was assaulted by mobs who were then
engaged by Federal troops. Mobtown sounds tougher than Charm City, and The
City That Reads is a bad joke.

Thanks for the very cool local history.  I knew Baltimore was a tough town now
but I had not idea that its violent history went so far back in time.

My personal nickname for it would more likely be "The city that kicks my Butt
everytime I go up there for Preakness", but this is family oriented group, and
somethings I just do not want to put down in writing forever...

Will