Re: Got my NXT on Wednesday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2006 18:43:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Shane Brinkman-Davis wrote:

This new environment is good, even very good, but upon close
inspection it isn't going to support general purpose programming.
It lacks two critical things: Arrays or data structures of any
kind.

   Agreed. Although if it had full strong parsing ability, you could use the
string variables as arrays. But yeah, I really miss (&, for somethings, need)
arrays. Data structures I can do without (or roll my own with arrays).

And, it lacks real custom functions.

   As I'm sure Dave or Gus can show you at the meeting, you can make MyBlocks
with input/output plugs just like any other block. If you select a section of
code, any wires crossing into or out of the proposed MyBlock will end up as
plugs in the new MyBlock datahub. They are not, however, recursive (yeah, that
would be handy, but I'm not sure how detailed a stack the firmware implements),
and scoping of variables within and outside of MyBlocks is... confusing.

Lack of Remote Control

   Well, there's always the $250 remote control of a second NXT set using BT...
:-)

--
Brian Davis