Re: Got my NXT on Wednesday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:28:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Brian Davis wrote:
   While I'm reasonably certain that adults make up more than the cannonical
"5%" of Mindstorms sales, I suspect it's still far below 50%. Remember, the main
users of Mindstorms are educators. I know of one educator who just placed an
order for 22 (!) NXT sets, and I suspect he's just a drop in the bucket. Kids
are still a *major* driver of sales here.

I don't know how accurate the big wired article on NXT was, but it says pretty
clearly it is 50/50 adults and kids.

"Such loyalty isn't unusual among the fanboys who've swooned over Mindstorms
since its 1998 debut. Four years after its release, version 2.0 still sells
40,000 units a year at $199 a pop - with no advertising - and has become Lego's
all-time best-selling product. The market is almost evenly split between parents
buying the kit for their budding engineers and grown-up geeks who build
Mindstorms robots that can scale walls, solve Rubik's Cubes, or pick blue M&Ms
out of a pile."

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.02/lego.html

That said, though, I think lego is correct in thinking that if they take care of
the kids, the adults will take care of themselves through opensource. The
opposite would obviosly not work. However, I still think that an extra 10%
effort and the new GUI programming environment could be dramatically more
powerful - and more useful for the older 50% of their audience. But... I guess
they have to get the product out the door - and overall, it is still an
incredibly cool product!

-Shane