Re: LEGO Millyard model to cover 2,000 square feet, Sponsored by NELUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:00:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Wayne McCaul wrote:
How did it go on Sunday? What's the word on the next time?

Sunday was also lots of fun-- we had fewer people there, and finished up
somewhere around 9pm instead of the projected 7pm -- building was just way too
fun I suppose.

At the end of the weekend, we pretty much completed about 4 buildings (I can't
remember any of their names other than "the UNH building" and "the H building"),
and came close to finishing a 5th.

The prototype building:
http://www.nelug.org/db_DSC001251.jpg

The short, easy building:
http://www.nelug.org/db_DSC001191.jpg

The "H" (looked really neat when completed):
http://www.nelug.org/db_DSC001101.jpg

The UNH building:
Don't see any pictures of this one online yet, but it was extra long, 3 storeys
tall, and 'plain', yet resultantly difficult.

The uh... other building:
Again, don't see any pictures yet, but this was a long, 6 storey building, that
was incomplete as of Sunday night.

All in all it was pretty tricky building! We had a few instances where we needed
to go back and rebuild sections where we forgot details, where plans were
changed midway, or even (in one case) where the building (The "H") was built an
extra storey tall, and needed to have part of its top floor removed.

But it was also such a neat sight to have multiple K-8 sized boxes worth of
particular parts at your disposal for building. Need some 2x2 brown L-bricks? Go
fill up a bag and bring it back to the table! How about 5 kajillion windows?
Sure, go fill up a bin!

There were a few tidbits we needed for detailing here and there, where we didn't
have enough. But fortunately there was a kids' free-building area that had a K8
or two of random parts where we could dive in and search for the bits we needed
for construction.

DaveE