Re: Greenburg Train Layout Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:45:28 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
Hey everyone,

Eric and I finally decided to work together on a design instead of competing
against each other.  I think you're going to like the results.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop8d.gif

Thanks Jonathan, you are much better at adding detail to the image than I.

Jonathan came up with the idea of spliting the one table and it really works
well.  We did have to move the small hole around a bit to get the best fit.  I
end up losing 16x128 of the parking lot but that isn't a big deal.  I am
probably going to swap the police station and church locations because they
will fit better that way.  If it is OK with everyone I will probably take the 3
16x32 sections just above my Main Street location.  Beyond that I probably
won't do more unless I am replacing a building on my area.  If I can do that
without dismantaling the building being replaced I may try and salvage the
buildings as filler if needed.

This layout uses a train layout convention called an access hole.  This
small hole is place in the middle of a deep train layout to gain access to
the center of the layout.  To create this hole we need to construct the 16th
table as two 20"x40" half tables.  This will give us a 20" x 40" hole in the
middle of the town that we can pop up through if we need to fix anything.

As a side bonus of using two half tables, the controller's hole gains an
extra 20" more space.  Since the controller is now closer to the outside
edge, he can more easily interact with people out side of the loop.

As Jonathan said we now have one decent sized control area with a much easier
access point in terms of ducking under.  We do loose the second control station
(Unless someone who is not me wants to park in that access hole).  The access
hole is just that and is used for setup and reaching the inner part of the
layout to right fallen figs and such.

Some other notes:

This layout includes all the running options I desired, 2 or 3 loop operation
and decent yard space.  Plus all track is now placed so that all straight
sections (Except for a few in the yard) meet at the end of a baseplate.  Also,
on 32x32 baseplates all track is 4 studs in on either side.  This means that a
lot of the straight track could be attached to baseplates before setup which
should reduce our setup time.

As for parts, if people are happy with this setup I would like to order parts
before the end of September so we don't get caught short at the last minute.  I
will order all the track we need.  As for baseplates I will proably subtract
the areas people have committed to and order the differance unless people think
I should just order it all.  We have always had more baseplates than we need.
I will also order some more extension cords and possibly one or two
controllers.  I am just worried that the outside loop is getting so large that
it may need a power boost with 2 controllers.

Eric Kingsley