Re: Greenburg Train Layout Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:29:05 GMT

Wow - good job, guys! The layout looks fantastic!

I do have one question, though...Shaun had two burnt buildings and the
layout shows one. We talked about using one in a construction scene, where
it is being knocked down. I was planning on building something for this. Is
this still included? There seems to be a number of spots where this can be
placed. Not the end of the world if it's not going to be there.

- Joe

"Jonathan Dallas" <brickmason@legos.zzn.com> wrote in message
Hey everyone,

Eric and I finally decided to work together on a design instead of • competing
against each other.  I think you're going to like the results.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop8d.g
if

This layout uses a train layout convention called an access hole.  This
small hole is place in the middle of a deep train layout to gain access to
the center of the layout.  To create this hole we need to construct the • 16th
table as two 20"x40" half tables.  This will give us a 20" x 40" hole in • the
middle of the town that we can pop up through if we need to fix anything.

As a side bonus of using two half tables, the controller's hole gains an
extra 20" more space.  Since the controller is now closer to the outside
edge, he can more easily interact with people out side of the loop.

Just a few design notes:
1. Tom's layout is in a different configuration then it was orginally, but • I
think he was going switch things around anyways.  I also took out the road
next to his house.  I'm hoping that this will be okay.  I think if we put • a
little driveway and yard next to the house it will give the house the • extra
space it requires.

2. Now if your wondering why there is a barn is in the amusement park, • think
petting zoo.

3. We need volunteers to build false building fronts.  The fronts are to • go
along the edge of the access hole.  I haven't figure out exactly what the
fronts are going to sit on yet, but we can probably screw some technic • beams
to the side of the table.  I'll post specs of the support structure once I
figure it out.

4. For the castle people, I think we can put a castle on this layout • without
it looking out of place.  If you think you have a castle that will fit
across from the amusement park, give me its dimensions and I'll try to put
it in.  I can also take out my small house if we need more space.

(I won't right all the specs this time)

Any right, please post your comments, good or bad.

Jonathan