Subject:
Train Tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:21:06 GMT

I thought about bringing this up at the meeting, but maybe some other people
out there have some thoughts on this too-- But I was thinking about
redesigning any future tables (still compatible of course) after seeing
WAMALUG's tables (I forget who designed them, though I know I was told at
least twice)

1st off, the tables were really lightweight. I forget how heavy our tables
are when fully assembled, but I could lift up a WAMALUG table with one hand
without much trouble-- it also had a center support beam running underneath
the top for easier 1-handed carrying.

2nd is the fact that the legs fold up inside the table instead of being
attached upon arrival. This made it REALLY easy to assemble tables. We
unfolded about 20? tables in only a couple minutes and had them ready to
go-- plus we didn't need a socket wrench... (also probably would mean easier
storage)

The other thing they had was "clips" (which I never saw) that held the
tables together, versus our actual bolting them together-- just another
thing for a quickie setup...

Oh yes, and the other kinda neat thing they did was paint the tabletops
green so as to minimize the odd color patches between baseplates...

As for disadvantages-- when talking to them, they said there were two things
they would change: the height and the width. I think our tables are
significantly shorter, but theirs were something like 3 feet high? I dunno.
But it was such that little kids couldn't see over the top as they said.

The 2nd thing they said they wanted to change was to make it a 3x3 baseplate
dimention, rather than a 4x4, seeing as they had some problems reaching the
middle with some of the larger buildings. I don't think we've really had
this issue in the past-- but the other advantage they said it would have
would be that they could fit in any-old-car, not just a van/SUV. Of course,
neither of these have been problems for us yet, seeing as we don't have HUGE
buildings, and the tables have always found a home in Eric's car which can
easily fit the tables...

Anyway, some things to keep in mind if we ever decide to add new tables or
want to revamp the old ones...

DaveE