Re: More ConTraption info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:36:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
I told the Stilyagi mailing list that MichLUG wouldn't be at ConTraption, and
someone asked why. An explanation was offered that I thought was incorrect, so
I mentioned the registration fee issue. I then received an explanation of the
policy via email from someone familiar with the running of sci fi cons. Because
I haven't asked for permission to re-post, I'll give my own version rather than
quoting...

It's common practice at sci fi cons for *everyone* to pay to attend. The con
relies heavily on volunteers (staff, panelists, etc) who are also fans, and
can't afford (financially) to make exceptions to the registration fee
for them.

This is problematic when non-fans (like most of MichLUG) are invited. Perhaps
it would have been less problematic if we knew this policy beforehand. In any
case, asking MichLUG to pay is not an indication that our participation isn't
valued - it's just the standard policy.

Not saying it is or isn't an indication that we're valued. It is just MY
standard policy that I don't pay to attend events where I am primarily there
on my feet providing a service to the event. Rather, I expect to BE paid
(the club getting the money, not me), unless it's a charity I choose to
support in which case I'll do it for free but still won't pay.

I think that's the "standard policy" of a lot of members of MichLUG as well.
If our standard policies are incompatible, so be it.

While I understand that this particular con may be tight financially, it's
still a charity question, at the root, then... I choose not to support this
particular charity as I have better uses for my time and charity dollars.