Re: More ConTraption info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:34:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
I told the Stilyagi mailing list that MichLUG wouldn't be at ConTraption, and
someone asked why. An explanation was offered that I thought was incorrect, so
I mentioned the registration fee issue. I then received an explanation of the
policy via email from someone familiar with the running of sci fi cons. Because
I haven't asked for permission to re-post, I'll give my own version rather than
quoting...

It's common practice at sci fi cons for *everyone* to pay to attend. The con
relies heavily on volunteers (staff, panelists, etc) who are also fans, and
can't afford (financially) to make exceptions to the registration fee for them.

This is problematic when non-fans (like most of MichLUG) are invited. Perhaps
it would have been less problematic if we knew this policy beforehand. In any
case, asking MichLUG to pay is not an indication that our participation isn't
valued - it's just the standard policy.

You should suggest to them that MichLUG should be considered more like a
special guest than a fan; you aren't volunteers or staff, or attendees -
you're a draw, like authors or actors or artists.  The key phrase there is
"invited" - did they ask you to come and set up, or did you approach them?
In my dealings with cons of various sorts, that's often the dividing line
between "guest" and "volunteer".

$0.02
James