Re: Automated monorail stop (was Re: Automated points)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:13:49 GMT

Absolutely no sensors or anything required. Just a constant speed motor
turning the control knob on the track.

I'm an idiot.  I was so fixated on getting the switch to go from one
position to another, I forgot that you don't have to reverse!  Rotary
motion.... duh!  Yeah, my setup works with that; I just checked.  The motor
and gear ratios could be made vertical and put alongside a support to save
space.

I do have the point-switch working too.  That only needs a single reduction,
and I've got a 16-tooth gear driving the racks.

The setup I described is neat, but I don't think we want to do it because of
the constraints it would put on our setup--a point just outside the station,
etc.  I may do it for myself anyhow, though...

Peter