Re: Automated monorail stop (was Re: Automated points)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:05:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Peter Guenther writes:

Larry, what did you mean by automatically reversing--mechanically changing
direction?  Because of the gear ratios that might be a little tough.

Nope. Just leave a heavily geared down drive turning the knob of one of
these monorail reversing tracks running constantly... that is constantly
rotating (very slowly due to the torque needed) the control plate knob.
Depending on where the plate is when the monorail arrives any one of a
number of things will happen. It may stop, it may pass through unimpeded
(rare), it may reverse. If it stops, when it starts again it may leave in
the same or different direction.

Absolutely no sensors or anything required. Just a constant speed motor
turning the control knob on the track.