Re: Automated monorail stop (was Re: Automated points)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:22:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Peter Guenther writes:
This is a little off-topic, but hey, you knew that when you saw who wrote it.

At the show this weekend, I started thinking, "Wouldn't it be neat to have a
mindstorms monorail station that stopped each train for about 20 seconds,
made the ding-dong chime like the DC metro, and then set it going again?"

Tonight I did make a motorized controller for one of those monorail stops.
I didn't think it could do it, but with the right gearing it CAN turn the stop.

It's a little bulky, though, and I haven't even gotten to the problem of
telling the train's in the station (switch?  light sensor?) and, well, the
platform I built today to go along with it has become more interesting
architecturally than the stop is technically, and I'm thinking it would be
cool as part of a bus depot, so, well, the bottom line is the darn thing
works and I doubt I'll use it because it would detract from what's starting
to shape up into a cool building.  If people want info, though, I can
provide it, and maybe take a photo eventually.

We were talking about monorail reversing at the show on Sunday. I suggested
that we could make a motorised reverser that you just left running. If you
had several of these at various stations you'd get random behaviour...
sometimes monorails would go through, sometimes they would stop, and
sometimes they would reverse. If they stopped, sometimes they would continue
on in the same direction and sometimes in the opposite. No mindstorms
required (but just chaotic behaviour instead of something that seemed directed)

++Lar