Subject:
Boomer in Saturday pictures of MICHLUG/LTC at GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:45:24 GMT

Snip

The ICBM missile!

Rick

Whose Boomer is this? (Navy term for FBM (fleet ballistic missile)
submarine)(1)(2)

Being (1), I really appreciate seeing a representation of the Navy rarely
seen.

Some constructive points (my 0.02 cents) or 3...(3)

FWIW, the original boomers were 425 feet long and the new Tridents are 560
feet long, I know selective compression. The length may be more suited for a
fast attack, which is ~300 feet long, but then again, you have the flat back
of a boomer.

Even though the new trident missiles can reach their targets from port, we
would never launch them in port.
Also, they are designed to be launched from a submerged boat (4)(5); this
minimizes damage to the sub.
Now, if you are telling me they are loading the ICBM
a. Where's the crane?
b. Where is the hatch cover?
c. Where are the armed guards and MT's (Missile Technicians)?
d. During loading/unloading of ICBM's, you would never see them because they
are in a protective case
1. To protect the ICBM
2. To keep prying eyes from seeing it.
3. So people do not know if we are loading or unloading.

This is meant to spark discussion and not discontent.
Besides, it is not often I get to show off some of my knowledge (6)

Thanx,

Mark Millère
LUGnet # 525
Visit Milissa's LEGO store, Millère's Spares
<http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?i=MMillere>

(1) Sorry, former boomer sailor, aka "bubblehead"
(2) First sub note!
(3) Milissa said I sound like her father now when watching a war movie
(4) Boat is Navy slang for Submarine
(5) Sorry, that depth is classified! If I told you I would have to kill you.
I always wanted to say that.
(6) Unlike others that shall go nameless.