Re: broken RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:50:43 GMT

Well, after a little looking around on Lugnet & googling "RCX internals" I found
that one problem when people take apart RCXs is that a small surface mount fuse
on the board is blown.  After poking around with my el-cheapo test light, I
found that was the problem with mine.  I don't know how I managed to blow the
fuse, but I did.  The good news-- with a battery-only RCX (mine was a 2.0) it
seemed mostly unneeded.  According to what I read, jumpering around the fuse
would fix it.  So, figuring that I would have very little luck explaining to
LEGO that I had taken apart my RCX and needed a new one because it would work
now, I gave it a shot.  Out came the soldering iron and my very poor soldering
skills.

To my amazement, I actually managed to get it working again.  Who knows how long
it will last.

The bad part... Apparently bringing the RCX back from the dead didn't exorcize
the demons that posses it.  The behavior is a little different, and I haven't
exactly figured it out yet, but it is still posessed.  Bummer.

John