Subject:
broken RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 19:26:53 GMT

Some of you may have been aware of my "posessed" rcx.  It was a little screwed
up.  When I powered it on, sometimes it would just start up motor output A for
no reason at all.  It would run motor A indefinitly if I let it.  Sometimes
running a program would shut it off, sometimes not.  When I powered it down,
sometimes it would power up motor output A for no reason.  Sometimes it would
function normally.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes once I turned it on, motor output
A wouldn't function in the program.  There seemed to be no pattern to these
strange occurances.  I tried reloading the firmware several times and this
didn't solve the problem.

Well, I don't have to worry about that anymore, because I decided to take it
apart today and now it is completely dead.  It doesn't appear that I broke
anything when I disassembled it, but when I try and put it back together it
won't turn on.

Has anybody out there ever brought a rcx back from the dead?  Any suggestions?

I'll bring it to the meeting tomorrow, if anybody has a multi-meter I'd
appreciate it if they could bring it along, I want to check to make sure I'm
getting power to the circuit board and haven't blown the fuse on the board, but
I don't have a multi-meter.

John