Re: latest results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:08:25 GMT

   OK, I remember now. It's sort of pattern-matching with the pattern being
encoded by the position of the sensors instead of software (which, incidently,

1) The sensor geometry is usually determined by optomizing the line following,
so usually repositioning the sensor array means you aren't optimized for
following the line. It's a trade-off, and it may work.

2) You better come into a well-known zig-zag at *very* close to a head-on entry
angle - no wiggling allowed! Simple if there's a long (enough) straight prior to
the zig-zag, but it might imply keeping speeds low, which might *not* be a good
trade-off in this event.

These are things I just didn't have time to test.  My newest line following robot
"Twisted" was made to follow a line with six inch radius turns.  I spent a great
deal of time working on it, and have at least four or five scrap prototypes on my
working table to show for it.  I was trying to build a robot that could go over 3
ft/sec, which I did.

And, you know, at the speed it's going, a sensor will totally cross the
line in about 20 ms.

I also just realized if the line is under two of the sensors for any length
of time, then it goes to zero sensors, it's most likely in a zig-zag...  hmm.

Steve