Re: latest results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:34:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Chris Magno wrote:

Chris, what was your "skip over" light array
idea?

http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/laflrc/?n=108

   OK, I remember now. It's sort of pattern-matching with the pattern being
encoded by the position of the sensors instead of software (which, incidently,
would make it very tunable at run-time - hold the sensors onto 12L axles
projecting forward, for instance, so you can slide them back and forth). Hmm.
That should be worth trying, but I can think of a few problems:

1) The sensor geometry is usually determined by optomizing the line following,
so usually repositioning the sensor array means you aren't optimized for
following the line. It's a trade-off, and it may work.

2) You better come into a well-known zig-zag at *very* close to a head-on entry
angle - no wiggling allowed! Simple if there's a long (enough) straight prior to
the zig-zag, but it might imply keeping speeds low, which might *not* be a good
trade-off in this event.

Watching BFB run the course, I'm not sure what I would have tried. If the sharp
angle at the first "zag" could be detected, I think planning a wide sweeping
turn would have been my first choice. My own attempt failed miserably - it could
not get past the "wide line" section, and was too unstable on most of the rest
and kept loosing the line and catching it somewhere else. The program I
ultimately ran could recognize if it had completely lost the line, and would
back up to look for it. the result was fairly entertaining if not remotely
linear.

my RCX-based creation didn't start to smoke heavily and finally
burn out components during its maze-navigation. I'll have to add
that next time.

OK... spill it.  I want details and pic's

   Sorry, I had no camera - perhaps Steve snapped a picture. This was a "sheet
metal" event where only four of us (Steve, the Bri/yans, and Gabe) had LEGO
entries. One of the sheet metal robots had started to issue a thin smoke before
it had even reached the 2nd node in the line maze, and by about the 6th or 7th
node it stopped dead with very visible smoke curling off the top exposed
motherboard. The builder seemed remarkable unconcerned at this, and as far as my
8-year-old son was concerned, this was the highlight of the day. The guy won the
"best dead 'bot" award for the event (an award that should perhaps be added to
more events).
   For taking 1st in the line maze, I won a minisumobot kit from Parallax. Nice,
all the pieces are there, BasicStamp-based, with forward IR detection. Now I
have to figure out what to do with it. Let's see, how can I fit those servos
into bricks... ;-).

If you or one of your own made an RCX smoke, or
smoulder, I wanna see it.

   Not yet. But never say never.

--
Brian Davis