Re: dcc modification of a lego train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:50:12 GMT

Replying to my own post :)

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Brian B. Alano wrote:
I do think DCC the way
we need to go, even though is will cost $50 minimum per train motor.

The Digitrax DN121 is only $20, so including a $20 motor, it's only $40.

I saw a post earlier about someone who is selling DCC Lego train motors. I wonder
what he was charging?

$60. Or $40 with a motor trade-in. A fair price, IMHO. But I'll save the $20 and
do my own.

Actually, the reason I'm posting is to say I finally did the DCC conversion on
one of my motors. I found out a few things.

1. You can still run your DCC-converted motor on a standard (DC) layout, and it
will operate something like an unmodified Lego train motor. (Digitrax calls this
"automatic conversion to analog operation.") The catch is that the motor won't
move until you get to the third or fourth "notch" on the regulator. (Digitrax
says the decoder needs at least 6 volts before it will move.) I assume this is
because it needs enough voltage to power the decoder in the first place.

2. You can turn the headlight on and off with the remote. I was pretty sure you
could, but I didn't figure out how while we were playing with it at the IndyLUG
meeting.

3. With the DN121 decoder, you can't control the polarity of the light
connector. This means, for example, you couldn't operate a crane. The DN121 does
have both a forward and a reverse light, but they are bound to the train motor
direction (i.e. The forward light only works when the train has been moving
forward, and the reverse light only works when the train has been moving in
reverse.) This could easily be done with a more capable decoder, such as the
Digitrax DN142 <http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/DN142.pdf>.

4. Track voltage is 10VAC. At least, that's what I measured with my analog
voltmeter. I had an RCX 1.0 hooked up to the 12V train transformer. I also
measured 9.7 VDC at the light connector (which I wired w/o the recommended 70
Ohm resistor.)