Re: Layout Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:20:13 GMT

Correction to my last posting concerning the under track mounted decoupler
system.  With only a slight adjustment, (removal of a piece I didn't need)
the system I designed for under track mounting is passable by all normal
cars and motors and seems to work quite nicely, so there is no need for an
additional switch engine as I had originally thought.  All that it requires
is that the track be elevated by 2 bricks.  Also, will any locomotives or
cars be considered for use that are more than 8x32 providing that they do
not swing as widely in the corners?

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Thomas Garrison writes:
(2) and (2a) also speak to the question of coupling and decoupling.
Basically, there's lots of fun stuff we could do with a train yard/cargo
yard/roundhouse, with remote control by an operator, but it requires the
ability to decouple cars and engines remotely.  With the old layout, we
had this neat roundhouse, but we couldn't really do much more than show
off locos and run them into and out of the roundhouse; we could not, for
example, switch the loco pulling a train (quite aside from logistical
problems of having the roundhouse directly on a spur of our main loop)
because there was no decoupling mechanism.  I don't know how to automate
this process, but the mechanism will have an impact on the layout.  For
example, in Jeramy's proposed layout there was this big rail yard, where
the rails were very close together.  This would require decouplers that
came up from beneath the tracks (not enough room beside the tracks),
requiring elevating the whole area (or sinking the table)---doable, but
something to think about beforehand.