 Organizations / United States / BayLUG / 451
Re: NGLTC/Dixielug member coming to Bay area July 30-Aug 1st
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.baylug
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:12:26 GMT

Scott Lyttle writes:
I'll be in San Jose, and if anybody can give me a ride up to San Francisco, that
means I don't have to get a rental car, and I'd be very grateful...however, if
not possible, then I can still get a rental car.

Cars are useful for getting *to* SF, but not for getting around *in*
SF.  You're much better off riding the excellent subways, trolleys,
and buses than trying to find a parking space in SF.  Having a car in
SF is almost as much of a liability as having one in NYC.

You could take Caltrain up from SJ and avoid renting a car altogether,
or rent one and ditch it at a BART or Caltrain station on the
outskirts of SF.  See http://www.511.org/ for info about Bay Area
transportation.

I grew up in the NY area, so to me, I do love my NY Pizza...can SF come close?

Anne has my cell--I arrive Friday night about 6 PM.  I will probably not be
available that night, as I've got to synch up with my training partner for the
training presentation...

I'm not clear on what makes a pizza NY style as opposed to otherwise,
so I can't really say.  Paradise Pizza (if we go there) is a somewhat
soft crust, though not as much as the Chicago style pizza I've had.  I
think of it as California style pizza.  :-)  The other option that's
been discussed is Round Table, and you probably already know what
that's like.

Expecting California to be like NY is probably going to disappoint you
anyway.  I suggest you go in looking for it to be its own unique
experience and not judge it based on something else.

--Bill.

"Movies are like life with all the dull parts left out." - Alfred Hitchcock