 Organizations / United States / 502
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 07:12:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Shiri Dori writes:
<snip>

Here are my opinions, in case anyone cares. I admit I haven't read the whole
discussion yet (theres a lot to read and I will but wanted to "fire" first and
ask questions later so to speak) (OK, I went back and read it all, I still
agree with what I wrote)

This is an age old problem, especially with hobbys that are somewhat focused
around things that the mundanes consider childlike activities in the first
place. cf. the NMRA having (or at least had) an identical restriction, I
believe, and the creation of the TAMR (Teen Age Model Railroader) club, which
never really got to be nearly as effective as NMRA (smaller critical mass).

So the NELUG thought processes and their desire to avoid certain kinds of
trouble are understandable, and not surprising. However, I feel NELUG is wrong.
Their reasons for excluding teenagers aren't valid.

Nevertheless, they are a private organization and can make whatever rules they
choose. No private organization *should* have an obligation to accept all
comers (I know, I know, don't bother bringing up how the Boy Scouts have to
admit girls and such like, I'm talking about in the ideal world  here, not the
mild-PC mild-tyranny we live under in reality). That's the idea behind clubs,
they're supposed to be a group of people who have chosen to be together of
their own free will. They should have the power to include or exclude whoever
they wish.

So therefore I support them in making whatever rules they wish, while at the
same time certainly think that asking them to explain them in the hope they'll
reconsider is valid as well (although I ask if protracted discussion is more
likely to promote harmony or schism? I dunno).

And to the people beating on Matt as being about the only person explaining the
NELUG position, and that implying that no one else in NELUG suppports it,
you're all wet. Matt happened to be the person "on" and actively posting when
this discussion got started, and it got 75+ posts in a very few hours. You'll
hear from other NELUGers I am sure, give it time.

Finally, the people from "outside" who appear to be chiding and demanding
change... (not Frank, but the aussies in particular). It's not your club, not
your country even, the culture and mores are different. You've no basis, unless
you think we yanks ought to be telling YOU how to run things as well, and you
know you don't think THAT.

But there's a bigger question here. So far we have seen LUGs be mostly or
completely non overlapping. Whatever LUG forms first in an area has a defacto
monopoly. There is no RULE that says this is so, it's just a critical mass
issue. The only enforcement I see right now would be if (and I don't think he
has ever said this) Todd Lehman were to say "I will only give the first org
that shows (up for a geography) their own news group, because the second one
doesn't properly fit into the .org hierarchy". That would severely restrict the
ability of the second group to form up.

Is our hobby big enough to support two LUGS in the NE? What if another one
formed that didn't have the age restriction? What would happen then? Would all
the members that didn't agree migrate over? Would the second one fail to get
started? And if it formed, what would it be called? The natural name is
"taken".. These questions may be worth thrashing out now.

But let's do so in a positive way that gives us all something to ponder rather
than with knee jerk criticism, hmm?

++Lar