 Organizations / United States / 484
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:53:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Frank Filz wrote:

Well, when a group calls itseld the NEW ENGLAND LEGO USERS GROUP, it seems to
me that they should have to justify why it is not for anyone who is a fan of
LEGO products, no matter their age.

I disagree.  NELUG is descriptive of the group: it is a group of LEGO users, based
in New
England.

Furthermore, I think that forcing the current NELUG to give up the name (not that
it would
be feasible to do so) would serve no useful purpose.  It would only create
ill-will and bad
feelings towards the new group (and make no mistake, whatever group got the NELUG
name would be a new group, not a continuation of the existing one).  I think that
stupid
political $#!+ like that should stay out of LEGO fandom.  It's bad enough having
it in
other aspects of my life.

Anyway, here's my personal contribution to a solution.  If I ever organize
anything (and
I just might, you never know - I've been pondering a trip to the Higgins Armory
Museum
in Worcester, for example) I'll specifically bill it as for LEGO fans in the area,
not as a
NELUG event.

I would love to see an all-ages LEGO group in the area, but I think that
attempting to
force NELUG to be that group is not a good idea.  It's only going to make NELUG
members resent the situation and spread ill will an bad feelings.  I already think
this
discussion has done enough of that.

(Shiri - I don't blame you for it at all!  I really empathize with your position!
I think
that some of the other folks in this thread are going beyond what is reasonable,
though.)