 Organizations / United States / 494
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 06:19:00 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Jeff Johnston writes:
Frank Filz wrote:

Well, when a group calls itseld the NEW ENGLAND LEGO USERS GROUP, it seems • to
me that they should have to justify why it is not for anyone who is a fan of
LEGO products, no matter their age.

I disagree.  NELUG is descriptive of the group: it is a group of LEGO users, • based
in New
England.

Furthermore, I think that forcing the current NELUG to give up the name (not • that
it would
be feasible to do so) would serve no useful purpose.  It would only create
ill-will and bad
feelings towards the new group (and make no mistake, whatever group got the • NELUG
name would be a new group, not a continuation of the existing one).  I think • that
stupid
political $#!+ like that should stay out of LEGO fandom.  It's bad enough • having
it in
other aspects of my life.

Well, frankly (to be frank as is my right as a Frank...  :-), I see NELUGs
insistence on being adult only as being stupid and political. I think that
such attitudes have no place in LEGO fandom.

Anyway, here's my personal contribution to a solution.  If I ever organize
anything (and
I just might, you never know - I've been pondering a trip to the Higgins • Armory
Museum
in Worcester, for example) I'll specifically bill it as for LEGO fans in the • area,
not as a
NELUG event.

I would love to see an all-ages LEGO group in the area, but I think that
attempting to
force NELUG to be that group is not a good idea.  It's only going to make • NELUG
members resent the situation and spread ill will an bad feelings.  I already • think
this
discussion has done enough of that.

To be honest, I wouldn't give a flying flip if someone from NELUG was offended
by this discussion. If they are so insecure in their position as an AFOL as to
be offended by the thought of having non-adults in their club, then they don't
deserve to be playing with what ultimately is a toy, which happens to be fun
for adults to play with.

I am just amazed at how often people want to exlude others from our hobby
(take a look at my contributions to the debates about banning people for
somewhat confusing posts about auctions and other market type stuff if you
want to see more examples of where I stand).

I'm just glad that the most instrumental person in starting NCLUG has kids so
that we won't go through this same exclusionary mess.

Frank