 Organizations / United States / 483
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:47:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Erik Olson writes:
I can only conjecture about what NELUG wants to be, because I've never met • with
them. Frank talks about his "somewhat vested interest", but really, has • Frank
joined the club or not?

I haven't joined, and in all seriousness, probably would not join because of
this rule (and note that my main vested interest in a New England/Boston • based
LUG would be to point my nephew, who is under 18, to).

OK. Normally "vested interest" means you've already invested something, money • or
effort, or you own the land underneath it. Like the members of a club have. It
sounds like you have a "interest".

Well, since you're getting technical, I'll quote the definition of "vested
interest" from the Random House Unabridged Dictionary Second Edition:

] vested interest
] 1. a special interest in an existing system, arrangement, or institution
] for particular personal reasons. 2. a permanent right given to an employee
] under a pension plan.

Well, #1 exactly describes my interest, so I believe I am using the term
correctly.

I think you have the opposite, because you don't like the existing system. You
think you stand to gain by a change---therefore you are on the other side from
the "already vested".

Webster's is more precise. I rely on the 1967 edition, which emphasizes
'existing privilege'. 1. a: an interest carrying a legal right of present or
future enjoyment and of present alienation b: an interest (as in an existing
political, economic, or social arrangement) in which the holder has a strong
personal commitment. 2 : one having a vested interest in something and esp. an
existing economic or political privilege.

www.m-w.com has since corrupted Webster, adding the annoying #2 definition in
our time, which maybe fits you, but is really "special interest". Instances like
this, by the way, are why I look for better precision in older dictionaries.
(I'm on record on Lugnet on this.)

FUT off-topic.debate

I disagree.

Well, we may have to agree to disagree,

Yeah, that's where I am. Tired of debating.