 Organizations / United States / 468
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 04:58:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Erik Olson writes:
I can only conjecture about what NELUG wants to be, because I've never met • with
them. Frank talks about his "somewhat vested interest", but really, has • Frank
joined the club or not?

I haven't joined, and in all seriousness, probably would not join because of
this rule (and note that my main vested interest in a New England/Boston • based
LUG would be to point my nephew, who is under 18, to).

OK. Normally "vested interest" means you've already invested something, money • or
effort, or you own the land underneath it. Like the members of a club have. It
sounds like you have a "interest".

Well, since you're getting technical, I'll quote the definition of "vested
interest" from the Random House Unabridged Dictionary Second Edition:

] vested interest
] 1. a special interest in an existing system, arrangement, or institution
] for particular personal reasons. 2. a permanent right given to an employee
] under a pension plan.

Well, #1 exactly describes my interest, so I believe I am using the term
correctly.

I'm not chiding any one person, but: it's not polite to tell other people • they
have obligations they haven't chosen, or demand that they justify themselves • to
you.

Well, when a group calls itseld the NEW ENGLAND LEGO USERS GROUP, it seems to
me that they should have to justify why it is not for anyone who is a fan of
LEGO products, no matter their age.

I disagree.

Well, we may have to agree to disagree, but if I was looking at a directory of
LUGs, I would not expect to see a group which didn't have adult in the name be
adult only. There's nothing in that name to suggest that it is an adult only
group.

Of course what would be bad for all of us is that if TLC noticed the
negativity generated by NELUG, and decided that NO unofficial group could use
LEGO in their name (something they are entitled to do under trademark rules).

Frank