 Organizations / United States / 459
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 04:33:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Erik Olson writes:
I can only conjecture about what NELUG wants to be, because I've never met • with
them. Frank talks about his "somewhat vested interest", but really, has Frank
joined the club or not?

I haven't joined, and in all seriousness, probably would not join because of
this rule (and note that my main vested interest in a New England/Boston based
LUG would be to point my nephew, who is under 18, to).

I'm not chiding any one person, but: it's not polite to tell other people they
have obligations they haven't chosen, or demand that they justify themselves • to
you.

Well, when a group calls itseld the NEW ENGLAND LEGO USERS GROUP, it seems to
me that they should have to justify why it is not for anyone who is a fan of
LEGO products, no matter their age. LEGO products are afterall primarily aimed
at children. To me, it is pretty arrogant to take such a sweeping name (and if
you look around at my posts, you will even notice that I was reluctant to
claim NCLUG as the name for our organization down here which is very
Raleigh/Durham centric).

However, I am also not DEMANDING that NELUG change. I am just pointing out how
it appears to me, and questioning the reasoning.

Frank