 Organizations / United States / 460
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 04:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
That was then, this is now.  Though I'm not denying your unanimous vote, but

"Then" was less than half a year ago. I'm not sure how that can be construed
as a long time.

Then I must be mistaken.  I based that comment off of some stuff I read today
before posting my first reply, set 8 months ago, with a reference to this
decision being made 4 months earlier, so roughly a year.

their support for you now.  You appear to be the _only_ one sticking up for
the position.  I would say that it is time for another vote on the matter.

I assure you that I am not just ranting on my own. Remember that LUGnet is
not a real-time forum, and that not many NELUG members are likely to be even
reading this yet. In fact, some NELUG members don't even read LUGnet.

Yes, I understand that, and I don't expect full support one way or another
instantaneously.  I just would have thought that if someone else felt strongly
about this issue, the would have chimed in too by now.

cause.  Also, I am not (and I doubt anyone else is either) phased by your
multiple apologies to Shiri, when you refuse to weigh the issues and instead

You are right -- I am not attempting to weigh the issues. I am attempting to
explain the official position of NELUG. (See: <http://www.nelug.org/faq/>.)
I think for Shiri's sake that we will talk about this at a future meeting,
but I don't feel that it's productive to hash things out here, especially
with the general antagonism displayed by non-members.

I'd agree here.  I am curious to know when this meeting is, because as I've
said before, I'll be moving into the area on the 26th of August (but freshman
orientation will take several days, IIRC), and if its going to be held that
late, I would definitely be interested in participating.

I do admit that I do become antagonized when I see this happening, especially
to someone I consider my friend.  And I said before, it is a personal interest
because of my age, and because of the fact that I will be joining you guys in
a short while.

I would encourage you to consider the things I've said in other posts, and
the points made in the FAQ on the web site.

I've considered them--see Frank Filz's recent post at

http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/?n=457

I do believe that this post of yours is the most reasonable yet.  I encourage
you to bring this up at the meeting and seriously discuss _all_ aspects of it,
including Shiri's extenuating circumstances, and the fact that her parents
have offered to sign the waiver.  If for maturity's sake you must have an age
restriction, I would suggest lowering it to 16 or 14 at the LOWEST, OR
considering people on a case-by-case basis, carefully.

I feel strongly still, that the liability issue is a moot point.

-Tim