 Organizations / SciBrick / 99
Re: Request for membership cancellation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.scibrick, Anthony Sava wrote:
However, recently I sat down and read the rules and policies of SciBrick, and
I'm afraid I could not disagree with them more.  I feel they are far too anal
retentive...
     They're rules...rules always sound worse than they really are.

...elitist
     Respectfully, Anthony, I read the bylaws, too, and within those bylaws, I
don't see it.
     It's possible you may feel left out in some way because the group, at this
time, seems limited to a small number of members.  It's a new group, and will
take time to grow.  It's also possible that the true focus is toward a sci-fi
bent, and you'd prefer a fantasy focus; the true nature of the club will grow
over time as well, and may not include all that we see today - and may include
more.
     But within the written rules and mission statement, it doesn't seem
elitist.  It's a club, and every club has their thing - match up with their
thing, and you're in.  Not everybody's going to make it, and not everybody's
going to want to.

...and stifling to any sort of creativity.
     This I don't see.  As a matter of fact, there's a bunch on their website
that I think breeds creativity: links to NASA, prominent sci-fi artists,
scientists...seems pretty inclusive of creativity to me.

I feel I cannot be affiliated with an organization with such rules.
     You live in the State of Texas.  You live in the United States of America.
You likely have a job.  These organizations all have way more imposing rules -
you CAN be affiliated with such.
     That you choose not to be in your recreation time is your choice, and a
fair one.  I wish you happiness in your fun time.

Beyond all of that, the SciBrick rules require that members be active
     There are many ways to be active.

     I wish you happiness in our hobby.

Peace and Long Life,
Tw0nst3r