 Organizations / SciBrick / 88
Re: Request for membership cancellation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:56:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.scibrick, Anthony Sava wrote:

   However, recently I sat down and read the rules and policies of SciBrick, and I’m afraid I could not disagree with them more. I feel they are far too anal retentive, elitist and stifling to any sort of creativity. I feel I cannot be affiliated with an organization with such rules.

I am really confused by your claims of elitism. Our rules are set up so that new members are introduced by existing members who can “vouch” for them. This is to prevent unknown people from joining the club and causing trouble or representing us in a poor light. Scibrick’s goal is to be an organization that presents ourselves in a more professional manner and has professional ties and sponsorship by The LEGO Company. This isn’t just another LUG or informal hobby club. Our goals are to present professional quality displays, so we must be strict in our new member admittance so that we can hopefully avoid embarassing indicents.

It’s not exclusive for exclusivity’s sake. We discussed membership requirements at length while writing our by-laws.

All it takes is for one bad egg to cause an incident at a display and ruin our good name and spoil our professional relationship with TLC. I hope you understand our cautionary measures.

   Beyond all of that, the SciBrick rules require that members be active, and due to geographical, chonological and creative limitations, I’m afraid I cannot comply with the rules.

I’m sorry to hear that.

-Grand Admiral
.space Curator