 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 130
Re: Exclusivity in VLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:44:29 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Not giving out the location of meetings may make sense if those meetings
are being held on private property, but what should really be a
pubically accessible event like a LEGO club meeting is probably not in
the best interests for the growth of the club to continue to be held at
such a location.

At the moment, the space being used is large enough, and yes it's
communal-use space on private property. If it becomes too small - which
I predict it will quite soon - then we'll need to look for alternatives
eg schools, libraries, churches etc.

It's really not hard to come to a meeting. I have brought several guests
to the last few meetings with no problems. And the VLC has been pretty
well publicised on LUGNET (and I think on RTL, IIRC) so that people do
know where to find the website. People not on the Net are another
question.

Mark, why don't you come to a meeting? Either join on the website or
come as my guest. We're all just  kids who want to have fun, no-one is
trying to keep people out.

I'll do that.

As it was, I felt it necessary to obtain some assurance that this club
wasn't just some sort of LEGO equivalent to a stereotypical high-society
club where only "important" people can get in.  Or worse, some kind of
cover for some activities which couldn't be kept entirely above board.
I've received such assurance to a measurable degree of confidence and am
a lot more comfortable with the concept now than I was a few hours ago.
I apologize for my paranoia, but I guess been around the block a few too
many times, and unfortunately seen quite a few people get hurt
(emotionally if not physically).  The idea of a location being kept
secret set off quite a few "red flags" in my mind as to whether or not
this was something that I should endorse.

Mark

PS: By the way, is it OK if I bring one of my kids?