 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9914
Re: One more thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:03:52 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik wrote:

Benhabib! Agreed, he is one of the funniest profs ever. I took both 2nd year
statistics and 4th year robotics from him. I think he's going to be one
hard-assed judge though. He is VERY particular about how you explain things.
Poor kids.

Actually, he agreed to mark more generously because they're kids at the
suggestion of the FLL organizer.  I can't help but wonder how I got my mark in
that second year course now :)

He also knows you're coming, I mentioned it.  Felix Wong, a MIE grad student is
there too.

Yes it is. Especially for kids. The logic is not difficult, but the execution
is.

The ones I saw tonight were halfway there--using rotation sensors and the like
to control movement.  I also noticed that the organizers put giant fluorescent
lights above the playfield.  They made me kind of worry about them.

As a result, they don't burden themselves with the
One True Way most hackers/engineers think of.

Do you mean they can think more creatively because they don't know the "one true
way"?? That might be a good thing.

Absolutely.  They come up with creative ideas and methods because they don't
think there's only one way to do it.  Kids don't know the one obvious way, so
they try all sorts of different things out.  We all jump to conclusions very
quickly.  Like all the scoop entries for rtl14 or gantries for rtl10.  Only a
few people break the mold-Iain with his delta or Chris (god forbid) with his
flamingo bird brick picker.  Or even your hexagonal ferris wheel.

Yes, but they have really short attention spans. Robotics requires a lot of
patience.

The judging is pretty extensive which seems directly opposite to short attention
spans :)  Apparently they are supposed to a research report?!  Wow.

The event is apparently going to be rather quite whiz-bang nifty.  They have a large IMAG screen there for everyone to see the table and it's in a really nice private school (Crescent).  I'd highly suggest all you rtlToronto folk come and watch.   They might even still need helpers. Email me for details.

Calum