 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9913
Re: One more thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 05:36:43 GMT

Here's one.  I was at my first FLL event tonight-I'm a Technical Judge for the
Ontario Regional this Saturday.  Another judge was my prof in statistics-none
other than the great Professor Benhabib.  He was simply put the funniest prof
I've ever had back when I took his class like six years ago.

Benhabib! Agreed, he is one of the funniest profs ever. I took both 2nd year
statistics and 4th year robotics from him. I think he's going to be one
hard-assed judge though. He is VERY particular about how you explain things.
Poor kids.

Anyways, some notes:

-The FLL Mars challenge IS HARD stuff!

Yes it is. Especially for kids. The logic is not difficult, but the execution
is.

-Kids don't have the experienced based preconceptions of what can and can't be
done unlike adults do.

Thats where the coaches come in, like me :)

As a result, they don't burden themselves with the
One True Way most hackers/engineers think of.

Do you mean they can think more creatively because they don't know the "one true
way"?? That might be a good thing.

-Kids are smart.

Yes, but they have really short attention spans. Robotics requires a lot of
patience.

See you Saturday.

Rob