 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9600
Re: C4: *yawn*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:11:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik wrote:
Just a thought, but does anyone else get the feeling this event is going to be
incredibly boring to watch? Not only are the matches between robots going to be
dreadfully slow, but there will be very little to see.

hmm.  Lets think about this for a minute.

Is it reasonable to assume at least eight robots will show up?  I think so.

Given what Bruce said:"I think we can all build a fairly decent robot which can
scan a 7x6 board and then drop a checker in one of [seven] locations."

And, if you consider the fact that someone has offered fully functional logic
software to anyone who wants to use it, I think it's reasonable to assume at
least eight robots should be able to show up.

Each robot has 20 minutes to play the game, so it should make about 1 move per
minute.

With 4 matches going on at all times, that's one robot starting to move every 15
seconds.

I don't know about everyone else, but quite often, when I'm testing my robots, I
like to just sit and watch them work.  I'm sure most people would be shocked at
how many times in the last week, I've put two RCXs nose to nose and watched
their displays as they play a game of Connect-4.

But as an event, that would be as exciting as this:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=6902

On the other hand, maybe you guys should re-consider this game.  I mean will it
really be that interesting to all the fans that come to watch the event?

Steve
"why are we here, anyway"