 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9359
9358  |  9360
Subject:
C-4; Is that the best you can do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:22:04 GMT

Well, Calum hasn't come up with a cool, odd, name for the Connect Four event
yet, so I thought I'd make a suggestion.  This came to me the other day.  It's
been stuck in my head, and it sort of embodies the "spirit" of RTL.

"C-4; Is that the best you can do?"

Anyway...

For those who don't think they can program a robot to play C-4, I'm ready to
make an offer.

I will provide software that you can download to an RCX, that will tell you what
move to make, next.

What you need: 1 RCX to control your robot, and 1 RCX for the External Logic
Control software (ELC-4)

Your robot will need to scan the board, and send a few IR messages (more info at
a future date) to the ELC-4 RCX.  ELC-4 will reply with a message stating which
column your robot should play next.  Very simple.

Now, the disclaimer

I don't know how good it will be.  The algorithm I'm currently testing with,
does a very good job of playing to a draw.  If you think you can do better, go
for it.

I don't plan to share my actual code, or algorithm(s).  If you want to tell me
yours, I'd be happy to listen.  And maybe steal your ideas.

If you only have one RCX, you'll need to borrow another.  I don't plan to
incorporate this code into "robot control" code.

This software will available to everyone who is not on the Team Magno staff.

It will be available Upon Request Only (you have to ask me for it).  That way,
the accounting department can track registered users.

Steve