 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7254
Re: Lego Bowl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:10:43 GMT

ok, the "fan story"

last week, I received into my rental inventory 2 "robofans"

they are canadian made,  use 220V 3 phase, and have a 5 hp
microprocessor controlled motor.

the fan blade comes out of a airplane jet.  specs here:

http://www.cinemafx.net/windmachine.html

this fan is used in the film industry to "make wind"  what makes this so
special is that it can put a "focused beam" of strong wing 24" wide, out
to 80'

if you stand 1 foot to the left of the "beam"  no wind, move to the
right, and you have strong wind hitting you. (this effect also works
right to left)

after hooking into the breaker panel to get my 220 3 phase (and always
keeping in mind that Green is the ground wire -- Smirk)  I powered up
the fans and rolled them to my loading dock door.

within seconds i was pushing small debris around the parking lot  FROM
80' AWAY!!

:)

it was so cool.

AND that's not all.

the motor is encased to make it water proof.  it was designed that way
for easy cleaning.

someone had the idea to hose off the fan and motor for cleaning, while
it was on and running.

the good news is that this has been accepted as a new way to make rain,
as opposed to the conventional film way of hiring a crane, and
suspending hose and pipe with holes drilled into it.

I was thinking of asking Calum to mock all this up for me in a lego
diorama.

Chris
HEY DAVE (shouts I from 80 feet away) "Stand a little more to the
LEFT!!"
Thud.