 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7248
Re: Lego Bowl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:30:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

(I know everyone's footsteps at this place - I'll hear someone go by and call
their
name, and they're like, "How'd you know it was me????" and I'm like,
"Because you walk like a spaz and flail").  YOU DONT NEED TO STOMP.  It's
funny because I know exactly how each of my coworkers starts a phone
convesation.  But it's geting annoying.  Is it Friday 6pm yet?  Chris, are
you hiring?

Iain, you don't want to work for me.  I stomp all the time....

and I am prone to random acts of muttering.

AND I start all my phone calls with "hollynorth...."

unless I make the call then I go into this routine:

"Hi, my name is Chris, I'm calling from HollyNorth. Who would I speak to, to
discuss, (insert neat fx stuff here)"

Using this system I can get SO much done.  If you like free catalogues then this
is the PERFECT opening line. some of the better industrial supply house's have
catalogues that are reference material in and of themselves.

also, I was at Zellers and some of the easter chocolate is EVEN cheaper.  like a
bag of those eggs is like 49 cents.

I was going to get a really big MR. BUNNY, but kate would not let me.   So can
someone explain to my why my government will let me vote, and drive (and maybe
go to war if need be)   but my wife will not let be buy candy?

has anyone seen or heard from Bruce?

Chris

From Yesteryear I learned to do 'phone talk' for I worked for an order desk
for a wholesale floor chain--

"Good (morning/afternoon)...Dave speaking, how may I help you?"

I was there for a long time, and learned some ins and outs of dealing with
folks on the phone like how to be personable but not too personable--there's
a fine line there, and how to put folks at ease when they are about to spend
a couple of grand over the phone...

So when I went to my next job in a computer store, I answered the phone in
the same fashion and my boss thought I had great 'communication and people
skills' and I was content for a while.  Thank goodness I wasn't on
commission 'cause I'd hate that.  I did sell alotta Commodore stuff to boot!

Now I work here, in an IS dept, where I'm working with IS folks who
supposedly know alot about 'puters and networking and VPN's and clouds and
DHCP's and OS's and whathaveyou, but, for the most part, it's as if there is
no 'interpersonal skills' at all--the user doesn't care about the advanced
configuration of their 3c905 NIC and the history of 3Com--they just want to
get their e-mail.

And the phone skills are deplorable, but what's worse is that I answer the
phone, "Laidlaw, Dave Speaking, how may I help you?" and now so does
everyone else in the department.  Further, I've been here for over 3 years
now and have 'banter' with specific folks, but again, there's a line for
banter, and yet the 'new guy' expects to start jawing with folks right off
the bat--some people voiced concern about his 'phone conversations'--he
goes, "Well Dave over there talks like that!"  Hey--I'm not the one that got
called on it--I know these folks--I know what's appropriate phone
conversation with whom, and if you come in here the first day and start
talking like that with everyone right off the bat, that's your indiscretion,
not mine.

But no, we're all to be more professional on the phone with everyone now.
So the guys I had banter with before are wondering what happened and talk
about improper executive decisions.

I didn't know I was so personable that others wanted to be like me.

Sometimes I wonder why I get out of bed--Oh right--women in business suits
and surf the 'net all day and get paid for it.

I love my job.

Dave K