 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5961
5960  |  5962
Subject:
rtl 13 robots...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:53:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/medib/temporary/chasis1.jpg

and

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/medib/temporary/chasis2.jpg

It isn't pretty and it is basically rudimentary, but it is a nice start.
I am starting my strategy to help with the "Hill Climbing" aspect of it,
just the movement from A to B (starting point to "hill").

It's still very much in the sub-Chris stage. I would very much like to have
a simple but competition-worthy Robot for the next competition.

Comments are welcome.

Ben,

The large back wheels, and lack of gearing has the potential to make a robot
that will go VERY fast, but will not have much, if any, power or control.
I've used this type of design for line following robots (and Legway), but
those tend to be VERY light, and I expect the robots for rtl13 will end up
being more on the heavy side.

Have you tested it to see how fast it goes?  Have you loaded it up with
pieces (like a small tackle box) to see how it does with more weight?  Try
that out and see if it performs the way you expect it to.  This type of
design may get up to full speed within three or four feet, but the 'hill' is
only two feet from where you start.

I'd suggest a fast robot would have those same (back) wheels, but be geared
down 5:1 (8 tooth to 40 tooth).  It would still be pretty fast, it would
have power (that's what I used for block stacking), and it should be easy to
set-up a differential drive, so you could remove the front motor, and just
use a caster wheel.

A good robot starts with a good base.  And don't be afraid to start over.
Especially this early in the building.

Steve