 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5857
Re: rtl 13 rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:52:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
What about awarding something like 1/2 point when one robot was on the >platform during the match?
If no robots are on the pedestal (at the end), each robot that WAS on the >pedestal at any time during the match will receive 1/2 point.  ("on the >pedestal" is still defined as completely off the playing field)

Okay, but that person didn't manage to stay on.  So you would reward the guy
who gets on the pedestal, but you punish the guy who managed to pull the
first guy off, which is a feat by itself.

The only concern I would have is if the scoring gets hard to judge, where a
robot makes it up, then gets pulled off by another robot which also gets up
on the pedestal, but it falls down as well etc.

In this case BOTH robots would get 1/2 point (draw) for being on the
pedestal at some point during the match.  Robots would only get 1/2 point if
no one is on the pedestal at the end.

As I understand it, it's NOT the goal to keep the pedestal clear of robots,
but to be the only robot on top of the pedestal.  So, yes, this addition may
punish a robot that doesn't attempt to get on the pedestal.

Personally, I'd hate to see two robots that just sit there, and have them
score the same as two robots that battle the entire 3 minutes, only to knock
each other off at the last second.

As far as scoring goes it will give the crowd something else to watch for
during the match.  "Did that robot come off the playing field?"  I'm sure
there will be plenty of people watching each robot.

Steve