 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5885
Re: rtl 13 rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 03:47:59 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
heck, there are people who use millimeters here.

Oh my, I almost forgot! I should have done all those calculations in SI!
Well, let me correct my mistake:

There are 3.048 feet in 1 meter.*
Hence, 8 feet / 3.048 feet/meter =  2.625 meters.
And also, 2 feet / 3.048 feet/meter = 0.6562 meters.
Therefore, by the Pythagorean Theorem, the distance diagonally across
the playfield is 3.712 m, and the distance across the block in the
middle is 0.9280 m.
(Wait a minute. Is wood measured in US Survey feet, or international feet?)

Now, if the pedestal is not turned (ie, its sides are parallel to the
walls of the arena), then the distance from the corner of the arena to
the pedestal is:

3.712 m / 2 - 0.9280 m / 2 = 1.392 m

And if the the pedestal is turned (which is my preference):

3.712 m / 2 - 0.3048 m = 1.551 m

But I could be wrong.

* Conversion factor obtained from http://physics.nist.gov/Document/sp811.pdf