 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5647
Re: ECRG wrap up and notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:26:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
I wanted to be there.  I didn't get to the Big Smoke until 7 p.m. on
Saturday, and Sunday I was in Belleville at a baptism and didn't get back to
T.O. until 8 p.m..

Hey, don't worry about it.  It would have been a bit of a bust anyways,
apart from watching Rob, because of the low attendance.  (I kind of feel bad
asking Derek out there) The little robots drew good interest, especially
from the youngsters following them around the room :)

As for Belleville, I know how that place can really drain a day out :)

Glad it went well.  We'll probably see some of these folks at the next rtlT
event so they can see real robots in action? ;)

I think so.  I think there's something awfully reassuring about Lego-it's
just so easy to get into and obvious for kids and parents.  I mean, you show
a bunch of things that look like dead walkmans (I wonder if I can dig up all
my dead walkmans and sell them as a BEAM robot kit?) and it's awfully
daunting for people to grow into.

If anyone's interested (after moderation) here's a few photos from the event.

I shot more video than stills, but from left to right:

-Event Sign featuring all the events and speakers.  I kept one of the signs
because I've never really seen my own name on a cardboard sign before.  Note
Mark Tilden (of BEAM fame) was supposed to talk there.

-The room maze for firefighting and one of the better competitors.  He had
the third place time of 26 seconds which was an excellent time.

-A shot of the Studio 2 space which seats about 100 people in a really nice
sloped arrangement.  I'd like to do an event here next year if the OSC is up
for it.  I've been speaking with them this morning about such a possibility.

-Rob Stehlik and his firefighter.  Note the giant toy propellor on the front
that he's using to blow the candle out.

-Rob's robot in the actual maze.  Note the aluminum tower the candle sits
in.  The candle is an Ikea-esque tealight candle.

-Sumo arenas in the Imperial Oil Theatre (Pepsi?  Half credit!)  They did an
amazing job here (the OSC) as they had IMAG (image magnification)
projection, a really good presenter from the Centre keeping the audience
entertained, and a document camera to show entrants and speak about how they
built their robots.

Calum