 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5548
  Arena...

So how flat is the floor in LHS? I have potential access to greenhouse 'screening' and if I grab a sheet of that, say 8 feet 8 inches square, and get 4 pieces of 1"x8"x8', and have the sheet attach to the outside walls of the 1x8's, then it's a very (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

(...) wont this just make a big trampoline? unless you mean something else and will make 16 small trampolines... in either case, I think we need a solid surface. -- Chris (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

Hi Dave, I have an idea that would be a nice addition to the standard playing field. What if there was a high contrast line placed about 15 cm (6 inches) within the walls? This would allow robots to detect the line a back away from the perimeter (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

(...) I don't mind, but Dave and Rob are building the arena, so it's up to them. Someone let me know so I can update the page. Calum (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

I thought about the tape idea and i can see no reason why not to have it..... so if the people who will be building the board (dave/bruce) want to do it then go for it. Chris (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

One of the competition ideas which didn't make it to BrickFest this year was to be in a walled enclosure. In the design process, I discovered that a line is not a good idea. You need a black border going all the way to the wall. If you put a line (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

(...) I'm buying wood this weekend--I have a *brilliant* plan to make the arena totally portable ;) Going over to my uncles little wood shop to assemble, and I prob'ly won't paint it at all before the upcoming match--only have 2 weekends before said (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

(...) Dave, How can you go through life with no memory at all? At the most recent block stacking event I believe I won with a stack of 9 and I could have definitely gone to 13 but after seeing my 'competition' I told the robot that 9 would be more (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

(...) Lest we ferget I said I came in 2nd the 2nd competition... Lest we also forget that it wasn't per match but per day--I kicked heinie the first competiton with the first Runamok 'bot. 2nd--sumo Guelph 1st--block stacking 2nd--block stacking (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

The only problem I can see to the tape idea relates to the pushing of blocks, or other objects with sharp edges in other events down the road. Will the edges catch on the tape? Would this tear up the tape and entangle a robot? If it's really really (...) (22 years ago, 24-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

This brings to mind another question - how tall is the surrounding wall? Matthias Jetleb (22 years ago, 24-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Arena...

(...) I will be purchasing 1x8's for the walls, so I guess the walls will be 7 1/2" tall. Dave K (22 years ago, 24-Oct-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)