 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5492
Re: RtlTrain 4 Rolling Stock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 02:09:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
OK, I'm back in the saddle.

I had a short (robotics-related) distraction, but that's over, and the
therapy is going fine, thank you.

So, back to trains:

We need to nail down a time for rtlTrain4.  If we don't do this (as
Calum has pointed out), we'll all waffle along endlessly.  Nothing like
a deadline.  There are four basic times that I'm going to propose, and
I'd like to hear people's favourites, objections, and already-booked
times.  Yes, I know there's an rltToronto event coming up, but for
completeness' sake...

Period I:  now until mid-November
If we try to do it this quickly, we'll hit the other rtl event, and I
won't be here.

Period II: Mid-November into Christams
A busy time of year, but plausible.

Period III: January-ish
You've all got your new Christmas sets.

Period IV:  Ferbruary-ish
...and now you're bored.

Let's hear it, folks!

* * *

On content:

We're doing a fixed 'core' layout, that's actually fairly big and quite
complicated.  It should be a blast to run trains on it.  I think there
are 13 & 4-half modules, and we can always attach extra modules off the
end if people like.

But I need to get commitments on the Core modules first!

I've got commitments from myself (2 & 4-halves); Derek Raycraft (2
modules); Calum (1 module); and Jeff VW (1 module and waffling on some
others :)  That leaves a lot of modules. (7 or so)  I'd like to hear
from folks - even if you're just going to provide the base and the road
plates, that'd be great.

The layout is

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/altenburg2.gif

but there's been some discussion in threads here as well.

* * *

On style:

The lower town (Unterdorf? Suggestions welcome) which is on the
gray-shaded plates is wide open for industrial, commercial, residential,
wilderness - whatever you like.  I'm suggesting a high level of
interaction with your neighbours with regards to roads, etc.  We'll fill
these in as folks commit.

In Altenburg (the green sections), we're aiming for a Euro-style Lego
look.  This means floor heights of 5-6; smallish buildings, trying to
avoid large glass office towers, etc.

* * *

On sharing:

Because we're doing a "core" concept, we're urging people to share their
modules by allowing others to help fill them in.  On my Altenburg
modules, I'm hoping to get 50% or more of the buildings 'donated'.  So
team up!  And if you don't want to bring a module, chip in with a
building!

All for now; more once we get a date picked.

Jeff E

I have several road plates, and I have some ideas that I wouldn't mind
doing.

I recently got Main Street (6390) and would love to do a "modernization"
of it.  Maybe do a town scene like those previous....sans the pink.
I think another Train Event needs to be without my pink stuff again.

When Paradise Hotel....in 2006 or 2007 gets built, then you'll maybe see
some pink.  I don't forsee any more until then... ;)

I would also like to build a castle-esque Inn....bar downstairs and rooms
for rent upstairs.  It is going to be my fall project.  I already have
parts ear-marked for the MOC.

I could also bring some cargo crates (some built from scratch, others
from a couple of Road N Rail Haulers.  The crane built from the
Main Street set is pretty good, and could look cool with a bit of tweeking.

Just some of my thoughts.  I have been mostly quiet in regards to Train4,
because I wasn't sure of my participation in it.  I will try to attend
it.

If it happens in January or later, it will mean a year since the last one.
I can understand earlier, since Calum didn't have a lot of time to devote
to the Train series, and wanted to take a step back as far as the train
events.  I can understand.  The transition is also needs to be considered.

So far, I like what Jeff Elliot (and Derek Raycraft and Jeff Van Winden) have
come up with as far as a codified look to it.  I don't know how my
participation has as the next event goes, but I will try and complement the
overall design.

Thanks,

Ben