 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4311
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto in National Post!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:52:27 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
You CRASHED peach......
WHAT were you thinking!!!

D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!  Poor Peachy-Server!!!
Time to get the real "Mango" server (AKA Supercomputer) to help "little"
peachy handle the traffic....

MIE Computing Services rebooted Peach today.  Though I've long been
concerned the machine couldn't handle a Slashdot type of load as Larry
describes, I don't believe the crash was due to Peach itself or people
visiting from the article.  I think we get more load from Lugnet than we did
from the article in the Post.

What apparently crashed it was an external backup from a central Solaris
machine in the Department.  Peachy itself has never crashed-it has
ridiculous two or three year aggregate uptimes (only downtimes we've ever
had were due to security patch installations, and Facilities shutting down
power for renovations) so it's either this backup problem or worse, an aging
hardware problem.

Anyways, with a few equipment donations from a certain multinational telecom
vendor, Peachy will be upgraded to a SPARCserver20 with new UW disks within
the month anyways.  I'm convinced the SPARC architecture can handle true
server load much better than any x86 clone can.

To me it shows you how little they actually do care about the Canadian
market.  Their target market is children, preferrably boys from 8 to 12.
And even before the drop in the loonie, they were very much in favor of
Americans over the Canadians...well, ever since they closed up shop in
Markham.......

I agree that the target market is children and it should stay that way.

Calum