 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4211
Re: Falkirk Wheel - LEGO Helped!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:09:54 GMT

Wow! What a site! I love it!

Just as LEGO was instrumental for us in the development of the new Ventax
Viper AS 212

Now Iain, you just need to whip up a fancy website for your Viper, then
everyone will want one!

, LEGO aparently was used in the development of the harmonic
drivetrain of the Falkirk Wheel in Scotland!

Uhmmm... How is it a harmonic drive? I didn't see any flexsplines :)
FLexspline flexspline flexpline. What a cool word. Anyway, I would call it a
planetary gearing parallel mechanism. Since the center gear is fixed, the
gears connected to the caissons always remain parallel. I wonder if they
have plans for connecting a drive system to the center gear :) That would
make for an awfully fun boat ride. Just think... if the people in the boat
get bored on their way up, they could spin the center gear back and forth a
bit for some wishy washy excitement!

What a gorgeous structure!

Agreed. It seems that was their primary goal, to make it pretty. The
function is essentially the same as the old one.  Or did I miss something?
Does the new design have any distinct advantages over the old?

Wouldn't this be an amazing project to try for a train show? It's
unfortunate it's probably impossible due to no large inner-diameter ring
gears. :( Maybe there is a way to get around this!

If you suspended the caissons from above like a ferris wheel, gravity would
keep them upright. Kind of lower tech and not as cool, but the same idea. Is
this kind of thing ever done with trains? Don't they usually just have a
huge switchyard?

Rob