 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4087
Re: START BUILDING -- next contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:01:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Matthias Jetleb writes:
Can we assume there will be something like a bushing at the top of the
axel? Otherwise we would need to build a gripper that can grip a bare
axel fairly well in order to lift the flag. ie:

I don't see it as too hard to build a mechanism that grips just the axle
(rubber bands around the pincers for example) but I'm sure sooner or later
someone will try building a proof of concept and realize how incredibly hard
it might be without the bushing (I apologize in retrospect for the 3x3
inverted interlaced block of rtl10: ProjectX :)

With regard to the choice of wheel - will it have a tire on it or not?
Can I suggest using something other than black, such as the grey tires
from the Droid Developer Kit? I suggest this because I suspect that
with an 8" gap between the tables, a number of people will be using
tank treads or the large wheels - black treads either way. It might be
too difficult to distinguish if we don't use a different colour.

It's really a question of what people have.  Not everyone has a DDK (though
I think lots of people did eventually succomb to the $39 DDK eventually) so
it's hard to spec a part like that.  It's usually easier to use a part
that's in the RIS package, like the 8422 wheel hub, for example.

If we go by the mindset that we want a game that could be played by poor
little Timmy with his single RCX, then no, but we could also use the
"substitute with your own colour as long as you can make it work with a
event standard grey one" type of ProjectX rule.

On the subject of not being allowed to deploy blockers, what about
decoy flags? I would suggest not since this could easily make the game
impossible unless decoys were required to be a colour other than that
of the flag.

Overall I'd like to start working these issues and start debating because
I'd like to firm up rtl11 rules soon.  I'm sure this will be a topic at
dinner the week after.

Another possiblity... we can't hide the flag, nor block it or shield
it, but what about turning it on it's side? Tipped over on it's side
and placed near the edge or, better yet, corner of the table would
make it very easy for an opposing robot to accidentally push it off
the edge, thus causing the opposing robot to be disqualified and
requiring little or no effort on the part of the "winner"  - other
than casually knocking the flag over and then backing away so as not
to be accused of blocking.

If you can find the "opponent" flag on your territory and manipulate as
noted above, then I'd be very impressed.  I would be concentrating more on
my own flag.  It's a valid strategy to destroy the opponent flag-  I think
Chris said not to "hide it" which I took as "eat it" inside your robot.
Cinderblock at rtl3/4 did exactly that-it would take opponent marbles and
dump them out the side of the arena.  If you can do it, more power to you.

On the subject of no blocking or guarding or other sematic... you have
suggested that it should be OK for a robot to, in a sense, attack a
competitor by pushing the opposing robot. I would argue that
deliberatly placing your robot in front of an opponents for the sake
of pushing them is effectivly a form of blocking, albeit (presumably)
at a greater distance from the flag than just sitting in front of the
flag. Some kind of definition is needed to clarify when a robot is
blocking/guarding/call-it-what-you-will and aggressively pushing a
competitor back.

I think Chris meant (and I wasn't an active participant in that discussion,
I'll admit) that the robot can't leave a wagon train around the flag,
effectively.  Attacking a competitor is more than welcome, though, I think,
again, we'd be overestimating the ease of FINDING the competitor to attack them.

Calum