 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4064
Re: Anybody there??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:07:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I usually place announcements on the webpage and in this NG.  I used to post
to announce but we've been asked not to post dinner announcements in
announce or events.  Moral of the story:  If it's not on the EventsLego
webpage (http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego) then it's not happening.
All official events are on this webpage.  It is the ref.

I just want to slightly comment on the issue of people whining about the
dinner event news... I don't really see the logic here...maybe if there were
pictures of the meeting, then people wouldn't be so antagonistic about the
whole issue.

Other groups/clubs post pictures of their meetings, some of them even post
to announce/events/etc.

Well, Dan wants to clean that up too, and that's fine by me.  He's asked us
not to do it, I'm sure he'll ask other groups not to do it.  I suppose we
could go and tell other groups not to do it, but then, we'd be doing
"Community Policing" (tm) and I'm sick of that.

Whether or not there are photos or the fact that your average rtlToronto
dinner has more attendance than most LUG meetings is moot.  I asked Dan
point blank and we got the answer that rtl events go into Events, rtl
dinners go into this NG, and nothing goes into .announce, unless people are
willing to go cross country for it (namely, BrickFest/West type events).
Now mind you, rtlToronto10 featured Trevyn Watson and Ka-On Lee from Ottawa
and Dave Schilling frmo Seattle, but I honestly don't care to debate it,
we're in the Lugnet sandbox and we play by the rules.

And I don't think anyone really is whining about it, for the record.

I think when we see the new upgrade to Lugnet (Lugnet Version II) a la
Suz, we will see what gets changed and not.  There was a brief note when
Suz talked about the ideas of the "face-lift" putting more events-oriented
stuff on the home page.  But then some of the community members might get
upset if all the toronto dinner dates were posted... :)

I honestly don't really care whether or not they're on the Lugnet home
page-primarily this would be nice only to attract new Lugnet users in the
GTA.  But most rtlToronto folk know to check the NG or the EventsLego
webpage, and most GTA regular audience go to the webpage anyways and don't
care about Lugnet.  Then there are the random public who just happen to be
in Lillian H Smith and come downstairs.

I suppose we miss new people to Lugnet who are in the GTA but don't know
about rtlToronto, but well, I guess that's too bad.  I'm sure they're
reading .events too, anyways.  Now that I think about it, it makes sense to
clean up .announce.

Personally, if this was a problem, I might suggest having a couple of
"local" volunteers curating our newsgroup, so that it can high-light
certain stuff, that might not make it to Peachy-Server....

I know that some of the members in the local group are extremely busy at
work....Dave, Chris, Calum, Jeff E, and Jeff VW, Iain, Derek, Bruce,
Matthias, and several others.  There are a few at school, Rob, Richard, and
I, and a few others, so that might be a finding someone with A LOT of time.

Though, I think the other criteria would be someone that is in the "inner
circle" and a lugnet membership might also be important.  Good candidate...
possibly Bruce. :)  [He's got a membership, and part of the inner circle,
but probably has no time for that!!...plus, the bulk of the highlights
in the newsgroup mainpage would contain a lot of pro-robot/rcx bias] :(

Ben, I'm not exactly sure what the point of the above three paragraphs was,
but here's the deal:

-Any official rtlToronto event/dinner/whatever announcement is ALWAYS at the
top of the rtlToronto EventsLego webpage on Peach.

-rtlToronto event announcements go:
    -Into this NG (Dinners, Robotics, Trains)
    -Into .events (Robotics, Trains)
    -Into .announce (Nothing.  BrickNorth 2008 maybe :)

This is the request of Dan and we've followed it since.

-The "Inner Circle" is whoever shows up for dinner and participates in the
game design/planning.  eg, rtlToronto11 is/was decided at dinner after
rtlToronto10.  Final decision is me and Chris, because we sign the forms.
Nothing new here.

-We don't control what goes onto the Lugnet main page, and that's probably a
good thing.  Those news articles are either .announce (so relatively
important) or voted up by all members of Lugnet.  There isn't AFAIK any way
of designating anyone to selectively control what gets up there, especially
not from rtlToronto, and that's probably a good thing too, we don't need a
filter, because no one is gonna be posting anything up there, because Dan
doesn't want it and we're gonna play by the rules.

Calum